Help in making a claim
At Haven Knox-Johnston our aim is to give you peace of mind by providing an efficient and helpful claims service.
To ensure a claim runs smoothly we will need your assistance, so please take the time to read this section as it contains some useful guidance and sets out some of your duties and responsibilities.
It is important that you tell us everything you know about an incident that might give rise to a claim whether you think it is relevant or not, it might become important later.
How to contact us
11 Tower View
Tel: 01732 223610 from the UK or +44 1732 223610 from abroad
Fax: 01732 871482
Our office hours are 09.00 – 17.00 (GMT/BST) Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays. If you are calling our claims team outside these hours you will automatically be transferred to our messaging service where you can give details of your loss or damage; we will aim to respond to you by the next working day.
You can either download a claim form below or click here to submit a claim online which will allow you to enter details regarding your loss or damage, as well as upload photos.
Should you require ‘urgent assistance’ outside of our office hours, we have arranged for a specialist marine loss adjusting company, ‘C Claims’ to provide an emergency claims helpline. The ‘C Claims’ helpline is available during the hours 17.00 to 22.00 weekdays and 08.00 to 22.00 weekends and bank holidays.
The ‘C Claims’ helpline will provide help and guidance concerning the availability of repairers, surveyors, engineers or other specialists in order to assist you at the initial stage of any problem. Thereafter, all advice should be taken from and reference made to us or those parties that we may appoint to assist you.
Emergency Out of Hours Helpline (provided by C Claims)
Tel: 020 8502 6999 from the UK or +44 20 8502 6999 from abroad
Fax: 020 8500 1005
It is very important that we are immediately informed of any event that may lead to a claim under your policy. Therefore, when you contact us please also quote your policy number if you have it to hand.
Unless you submit your claim online we will forward a claim form to you for completion as soon as we are told of the incident, remember you can download a claim form above.
This should be returned to us, fully completed, as soon as possible whether or not you intend to make a formal claim.
We may ask you to obtain estimates or quotations and these should be sent to us without delay although we may also ask you to obtain alternative estimates.
We may instruct a surveyor to inspect and/or investigate. Except in an emergency or to prevent any further damage, repair instructions should not be given without our prior agreement.
When you are satisfied with the repairs, the invoice should be paid by you and the receipted invoices should then be forwarded to us for payment to you.
Please remember that the repair contract is between you and the contractor. Any instructions regarding either repair or replacement must come from you. However, you must seek our agreement in the first place.
The claim may be subject to deductions in addition to any policy excess and the clauses in your policy wording should be read carefully so that you are fully aware of these (e.g sails, covers and outboard motors).
When loss or damage occurs, you should act as if uninsured. This may seem unusual advice but it is most important that, in the event of any incident involving your boat you must take all reasonable steps to minimise the loss.
- Take immediate action to safeguard and protect any property from further damage or deterioration this may include first aid to the engine.
- Enlist help (professional if necessary) if immediately required to safeguard and protect your boat and equipment.
- Try to agree a realistic charge or fee if a tow is required before acceptance.
- Retain and look after all broken, torn or damaged items for inspection.
Damaged by a Third Party
- If racing, protest the Third Party if they did not accept a penalty. Obtain witness statements.
- Obtain details of boat type/class/number/name/club and any witnesses details in addition to the name(s) and address(es) of the helm and boat owner.
- Road Accidents – obtain details of the driver, vehicle and insurer and any witnesses and/or call the Police to the scene.
- If possible write down all the details and make a sketch of the site.
Damage to Third Parties
- If a Third Party wishes to hold you liable for damage provide them with our details, your name, policy number and boat details. You should acknowledge any correspondence and pass it on to us immediately.
- Do not make any admission of liability and do not make any offer of payment.
- Any theft or malicious damage should be reported to the Police promptly.
- Keep a note of the Police Crime Reference Number.
- We will also need the serial numbers of any engines, tenders etc.
- Notify your club and local harbour master with the full details of the theft/vandalism.
This ‘Helpful Advice’ section is intended to provide some guidance should you have to submit a claim under your policy. It does not form part of any policy wording or give any indication of acceptance of a claim.